Monday, March 12, 2012

The importance of your passport

The first thing my uncle told me after I starting working in travel was, “GET A PASSPORT”. I can still hear his voice saying to me, “if they tell you there is a deal for $49  to Cuba and it leaves tomorrow, you can’t go if you don’t have a passport”. He was (and still is) right about that.

But that was then and this is now. Now you really need a passport to travel anywhere. Who would have thought that you would need a passport to cross border shop in Buffalo? But now you do.

Everyone seems to dread going to the passport office.  The last time I was at the office at Yonge and Sheppard, I was in and out in 20 minutes, and that includes parking, and walking into the building and up to the 3rd floor.

There are also a lot of Service Ontario centres that offer passport renewal services only. I actually learned this recently through some clients of mine and on some posts on facebook. The Service ontario website doesn’t mention passorts on their site, but it has a lot of other useful information (http://www.serviceontario.ca)

For all the information on passports you can visit the Passport website (http://www.ppt.gc.ca) and you can get everything you need, including the forms. You can also fill them out on line and submit them.  You still have to go in person to take in your photos, forms etc, but the electronic form is supposed to speed up the process.

My advice is to just get it done. Stop procrastinating. Stop thinking about how much time it will take, and just go.

No comments:

Post a Comment